Monday, 28 October 2013

Kate Crane Class at 3D Jean

I was really lucky this week to attend a class with Kate Crane that 3D Jean ran in Middlesbrough. It started with an epic drive as the Aberdeen to Dundee road was closed and what normally took 50 mins took 2 hours and 20 minutes. We did get going eventually and we even managed a sneaky visit to Ikea at Gateshead minus kids and DHs we browsed!

This was Kate teaching. She was really good at explaining and demonstrating techniques. It was one of the best classes I have taken as I learnt so much. I would recommend you take a class if you can.


Here is Kirsti my partner in crime working away hard on her pages.



Messy hands are a definite although I had actually cleaned mine about 5 mins before this photo. Peeling paint and gel medium off is very therapeutic lol.



This was my first page and I must have taken leave of my senses as as soon as I put the green and purple on the page I hated it lol. However I took Kate's advice and kept at it and by the end of class I liked it. Practice and perseverance are definitely required. This was the page at the end of the day. Kate has a great stamp collection and I used her bunny stamp as I think he's great. I was also able to use her hand carved stamps as well.


This is it after I worked on it at home. I broke out some rubons, inks and stamps and a digital stamp from The Octopode Factory.  My theme was the song "What Does The Fox Say" which my youngest son sings around the house and does the dance of course much to the disgust of his older brother.


My second page used collage and included some Blonde Moments papers which were a blast from the past. One of the first classes I ever attended was a Dyan Reaveley class when she came to Scotland one year and I discovered art journaling through her. We were lucky to be able to use some of Kate's scanned backgrounds to make shapes for this page as well as gelli prints we made in class which were the best. I have been wondering about getting one but I was worried it would be a dust gatherer but after we got to try Kate's ones (including the big one) I've ordered one for myself. This is the page at the end of class.


Again I finished it at home with rubons, ink, stamps and washi tape. I even found my gold leafing pen I had lurking but hadn't used yet.

It was great meeting all these lovely ladies in the class I had such a good time. Thanks to Jean for organising it it all and the great baking as well.


Final thanks is to Jan for keeping us fed and watered and being the shop lady. I came home with some great Artchix wood pieces and some of Julie Kirk's Plundered Page packs as well. It was a fab weekend!


3 comments:

alexa said...

Ooh, that last photo of your art journal page just zings with colour! It sounds as if you had a glorious time - was Julie there in person? Looking forward to seeing how the newly learnt techniques make their way into the rest of your work too.

Kirsti said...

Yes it was a brilliant day and I can't thank you enough for offering to drive despite the 2 hour delay..lol...xxx

Marianne/skorpionen said...

Gorgeous pages!! I recently made a page with the "what does the fox say" as well :D (Norwegian you know )
Lucky you joining a class with Kate, one of my dreams for the future!!
Wishing you a happy new year and thanks for your lovely comment on my top 10-list.
xoxo